Supporting and funding music education for the region’s youth has been a part of the RCA mission from its inception. Dating from 1983, RCA has hired performers who are dedicated to educating students, and student outreach programs have been made available in area schools. With the introduction of the Donor of Note giving program, additional gifts have made it possible to expand the RCA Student Outreach program.
April 2017 – Stephanie Nakasian
Ms. Nakasian, a UVA and William & Mary jazz vocal professor, gave a workshop on powerful but safe singing to Northern Neck choral students. They were enthralled by her ability to sound like a trombone with a mute, or a trumpet, or a clarinet. Best of all, she proved that improvisation is a learned skill!
October 2016 – US Navy Fleet Forces Rock Band “The Four Star Edition”
Middle and High School students loved them! Even the principals asked to have them back. The US Navy Community Outreach Program sponsors free concerts and workshops to the public. These professionals answered endless questions about the importance of practice, discipline, and the Navy’s boot camp program at the Great Lakes..
November 2016 – Thomas Pandolfi, Solo Pianist
Mr. Pandolfi gave two student concerts to Northumberland and Westmoreland County students. Here’s part of a press release by Patty Long, from the Westmoreland County School Board:
Fifty-six Cople Elementary School 5th graders and their teachers recently attended a piano concert at Northumberland County Schools Performing Arts Center. Guests of the Rappahannock Concert Association, (RCA), the students listened to Thomas Pandolfi, a concert pianist who was performing later that day in an all Chopin concert. His performance for the students was a study of several different styles of music including Liszt, Rachmaninov, and an interesting left handed only piano piece that left the students guessing ‘how did he do that?’
March 2016 – Yvonne Caruthers, Cellist, National Symphony Orchestra
“Math with Music” Educator. Over two school days, Ms. Caruthers presented her math lessons at four schools on the Northern Neck. Teachers chose from: “Music and Fractions” ~ “Music and Graphs” ~ “Music and Ratios.”
RCA’s Giving History 2011-2017
For the past five years, your generous gifts have provided support for music education, instrument purchase and repair and instructional materials to over 650 Northern Neck music students:
• Band instrument repair and purchase; loaned free to needy students
• Purchase of a Williams Console Digital Piano for 6, 7, 8 grades and jazz band
• Student scholarships to UVA band camp
• Video projector featuring the software “SmartMusic”
• Subscriptions to the magazine, “Music Alive!”
• Bass amp, concert tambourine, and 6 music stands
• Joia Tubes, glockenspiels and rhythm band set for elementary music programs
• Manhasset Symphony Stands and M54 Regal Conductor’s Stand, Behriner
• ULTRABASS BXL900 90-Watt 2-ChannelWorkstation
• Band uniforms • Octavos for a new 60-member choral program
• Steel drum (Pitched percussion and intervals)
• Copyrighted sheet music
Thanks to RCA “Donors of Note”!